PDA

View Full Version : Steering column help

Mike
07-04-2006, 07:47
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to find out if your steering column has got any play in it? Steering wheel seems to have some play in it when driving. It's recently had the lower steering arms and joints done so can't be those?
Cheers
Mike

dannyb1986
07-04-2006, 17:56
you can sumtimes feel play in the column through the sterring wheel is the best way, or jack the wheel up and rock the wheel by holding each sidew of the tread, like you would check a wheel bearing

Mike
08-04-2006, 05:22
Thanks mate I'll give that a try. Yeah there seems to be a small amount of play in the steering wheel when driving, probably less than an inch. Is this normal? :?

Thanks
Mike

MAXIBOY
08-04-2006, 09:44
theres a rubber crash joint at the bottom of the column that wears with age. check this. if going or gone weld it up soild. problem sorted.

Coops
08-04-2006, 12:21
universal joint in the column will be knacked mate as maxiboy says. from inside the car follow the column back from the steering wheel down under the dash to where it goes through the bulkhead into the engine bay. at this point there shud be a large rubber gromit covering the column, have that iff and under it is the universal joint. hold the column steady under the joint. and turn the wheel above the joint. if u can feel the wheel moving but not the column below that joint its the joint thats fahooked!

weld her up in the car for 30 quid or there abouts n ur laffin!

Mike
08-04-2006, 17:21
Thanks guys, I'll try that and get it sorted!

Thanks for your help,
Cheers
Mike