PDA

View Full Version : Which Conversion Would you go for?

mikeymikewakey
05-04-2006, 18:59
Hey guys,

Seen as my car is pretty much dead, its on its last legs anyway...Id like your opinions of which conversion I should go for.

I rang LTR, asked for winston and he wasnt in but I spoke to another guy there and he seemed like he was incredibly educated about this sort of thing and I will probably go down the route he advised.

However...
What would you go for and Why?...Poll Above!

I dont mind as to the difficulty of the job of whichever I go for cos I wont be doing it, Ill be paying someone who is capable. I WONT be re-using my Valver head, If I dont use a whole megane engine or williams engine, I will definetly be using a williams bottom end with megane head.

LTR Told me to go for Willy Bottom End & Megane Head, OR Just go with a megane F7R engine straight off? Or lastly go for the willy lump, but I would be happy with this by all means lol.

Cheers

Mike

stew
05-04-2006, 19:27
Williams F7R 700 lump is the easiest to install. Plug and play with a valver.

Megane F7R 710 head is better, and the cams are milder, but still produces the same power. Needs the head machined to accept the dizzy.

Megane F7R 710 bottom end seems to have produced some good reults with hybrids, mainly due to being on less milage than williams bottom ends!

If you into tuning, and want serious power, id F7R 710 it completly! Stick some fast road cams in, and a remap and you will be laughing!

Often the megane engines go for a lot less than a williams lump will!

8)

2 live
05-04-2006, 19:34
what you seem to be forgetting tho is that the inlet side of things is diff on the megane...so you will have to use the meg inlet too, and adapt the throttle body/pot .

bit of a ball ache tbh......might as well use the valver head but get it re-worked , will give same results

Plattsy
05-04-2006, 19:44
use a meggy head with inlet and that... get a knackered willy/meggy bottom end and rebuild it..
the meggy head aparently has alot more to work with so you will get better gains from it....
craig who has most powerful n/a mk1 has a willy bottom end and meggy head iirc

MattyH16valver
05-04-2006, 20:32
Had a willy lump put in mine recently m8 at LTR...u probably spoke to james, as u said he does know his stuff when it comes to renaults! They did a good job in the end for me...so whatever u go for u can expect good value for money. Just depends what your after really m8...as above you'd probably expect better gains from going down the megane route.

Martin
05-04-2006, 20:49
I'd go for a full willy engine or use your existing head on meggy btm end.

James Clio 16v
05-04-2006, 21:28
Full Willy engine as that is what I did.

Can't really comment on the rest, but mine goes pretty well :twisted:

Zollo
06-04-2006, 09:31
Full Willy engine because it's quicker and easier, so you get your car back sooner and have more money to spend on other mods. :D

u33db
06-04-2006, 17:22
Megane engine is the most superior so go with that. Mod-for-mod you'll make more power than a williams engine could dream of.

J o n
06-04-2006, 17:28
Megane engine is the most superior so go with that. Mod-for-mod you'll make more power than a williams engine could dream of.

nonsense. they are the same, megane's just tend to have lower miles and are newer.

u33db
06-04-2006, 17:38
the head is the same on both is it??

*cough cough*

MAXIBOY
06-04-2006, 20:36
if you intend to fit throttle bodies at any point megane head otherwise megane bottom end 16v head

mikeymikewakey
06-04-2006, 22:20
Well thanks for all you input guys.

Im going for the full williams conversion as I have bought a williams lump today with williams box and exhaust manifold.

Ill keep you updated on another thread as to my progress.

Mike

MattyH16valver
06-04-2006, 22:23
good choice fella...nice a simple, less things to go wrong, loving the willy engine in my car now.. 8)

summeh
07-04-2006, 11:56

nonsense. they are the same, megane's just tend to have lower miles and are newer.

They ain't mate.

later megane's have a reworked oil pump, its chain driven, rather than off the cambelt. more strengthening in the block, altho lacks the big chunky viens on the back of the block that the willy has, I still think the megane block is stronger tho as its newer design, reno had chance to iron out any problems.

Megane head is diff, no dizzy etc... also the cast is poorer quality but more meat so will give better results when ported. the manifold matches up better aswell, i.e. not at an angle on each port.

oh yeah and the megane has bigger inlet valves :)

all in all the megane is a better base to start from, as u33db said.

stan's done a full megane conversion anyway, so he'd know best.

Coops
07-04-2006, 13:19
all this talk of the meggi full engine, n tbh i have no idea what it puts out!! whats max bhp n torque standard? :?

Flan
07-04-2006, 13:20
lmao..

Williams bottom end and megan head.... :lol:

so a megan engine....lol

stan
07-04-2006, 16:40
as i was explaining to mike on the fone earlier, yes on paper the megane has more torque, and yes the head is more suitable for furrther modifications, but imo there is no point in fitting the stnd megane unit....the very minimal torque gains are not worth the extra effort and cost.
yes i did fit one in my clio, and as far as i know it is the only one done, but i done that to prove a point to someone that told me it cant be done....not for any performance gain.

side by side, for a straight conversion the williams unit is a better option.
as i also said to mike, if in the future you decide you want to go down the route of heavily modifying, THEN fit a megane engine. if you are that serious, you would build the engine with better pistons/rods anyway, so fitting a different head in the process is no hardship. and even if u simply added throttle bodies, again there is no real hardship in whipping the non-meg head off and fitting a meg head while u are there like.