PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearings gone?

measor
05-04-2006, 16:24
Mentioned it a couple of weeks ago, there is a loud ratteling, vibration thorugh the steering column when I turn the steering wheel left of centre, it only does it around 50mph to 70mph but its loudest whilst at driving at 60!

Iv jacked the car up and had a play with the drivers side wheel and it wobbles slightly from side to side, so I think this is the bearings?

I wont be able to get it sorted for 1 or 2 weeks cos of finances, just wanted to know if it was dangerous to drive around with the problem, whats the worst case scenario that could happen?

Cheers.

katbloke
05-04-2006, 16:41
a whining wheel bearing would be fine but the fact you have side to side movement in the wheel when you jack it up means its deffo dying, drive at your own risk, worst case scenario wheel falls off.

Gav
05-04-2006, 17:06
dude it will be ages until ur wheel falls off, and ur hands wont be able to take the vibration from the steering wheel way b4 ur wheel comes off

ive been driving with a blown wheel bearing for aboot a month now...fear not

but it could be ur CV joint

check and listen to see if it gets louder when turning corners or not

MAXIBOY
05-04-2006, 18:29
when jacked up the wheel should move side to side and top to bottom if the wheel bearings gone. if you only have side to side prob track rod end or steering rack.

measor
05-04-2006, 18:41
Iv just jacked it up again and the wheel rocks when holiding at the top and the bottom and when holding it on the sides, so does that indicate bearings??

I read on another post that bearings are only around £25 so hoping it is that rather than what else youve suggested!

1fast6
05-04-2006, 19:04
Iv just jacked it up again and the wheel rocks when holiding at the top and the bottom and when holding it on the sides, so does that indicate bearings??

I read on another post that bearings are only around £25 so hoping it is that rather than what else youve suggested!

Yeah £25 each , plus fitting :wink:

MAXIBOY
05-04-2006, 19:23
yes or loose hub nuts but prob bearings. they need to be pressed in but easy to do.

1fast6
05-04-2006, 20:25
yes or loose hub nuts but prob bearings. they need to be pressed in but easy to do.

yeah if you happen to have a press :wink: