PDA

View Full Version : BUGGER!! engine help needed pls!

rt_blackpool
04-04-2006, 20:37
i've just been taking the plugs out and numbers 1, 3 and 4 were all covered in oil! :( 3 and 4 were very bad and 1 lightly covered. it was all fresh runny oil, not thick gloups of oil.
number 2 was surprisingly dry, only a few specks. could this explain the non existant oil pressure on the pressure dial or still thinking buggered sensor?

someone tell me how bad its going to be price wise please. :(

also to add to the joy *rolls eyes* i took the air filter out to clean it and discovered there was a small leak of what i guess is oil. :shock: its come in from the engine side at the bottom and leaked on the bottom of the filter. i've got a pic of it if anyone wants to see.

Coops
04-04-2006, 20:55
oh dear, sounds like another head gasket death! :(

if the top of the plugs are coated n not the bit that goes into the cylinders however cud just be rocker cover gasket?

clowo16v
04-04-2006, 20:58
Wipe em off and put em back in, might aswell see what happens.

The oil in the air filter is just whats come out of the breather. Mine did it so I took the breather pipe off and washed it out and its fine now.

See ya

Matt

rt_blackpool
04-04-2006, 21:40
i forgot to mention that theres a knocking noise from the engine, i presume this is related?

arj256
04-04-2006, 21:43
Sounds Like the rocker cover gasket has gone, mine is doing that to plugs 1&2 just waiting for my new rocker cover to sort it out.

Coops
04-04-2006, 21:51
check ur water n all in the header tank, if its oily then its head gasket, if it seems okay cud just be rocker, knockin tends to point to loss of compression tho, which again is head gasket. tbh i'd just take it to local garage for a diagnosis, then work out how to repair from that!

MAXIBOY
04-04-2006, 22:46
knocking does not sound good. but what sort and when. does it rise and fall with revs etc

rt_blackpool
05-04-2006, 07:23
Sounds Like the rocker cover gasket has gone, mine is doing that to plugs 1&2 just waiting for my new rocker cover to sort it out.

a few people have said about the rocker cover. how much was a new one and how hard is it to fit? i've just been looking through the haynes and cant find it anywhere! :?

check ur water n all in the header tank, if its oily then its head gasket, if it seems okay cud just be rocker, knockin tends to point to loss of compression tho, which again is head gasket. tbh i'd just take it to local garage for a diagnosis, then work out how to repair from that!

if i get time i'll check the water later today after work, although it needs a coolant flush really and the header tank cleaning before i could say.

knocking does not sound good. but what sort and when. does it rise and fall with revs etc

from what i remember it was doing a bit on idle. only heard it with the bonnet up (never noticed it with it down) and as far as i can remmeber it dies down/goes altogether with revs.

Purple
05-04-2006, 07:33
Sounds Like the rocker cover gasket has gone, mine is doing that to plugs 1&2 just waiting for my new rocker cover to sort it out.a few people have said about the rocker cover. how much was a new one and how hard is it to fit? i've just been looking through the haynes and cant find it anywhere! :?
Clean the plugs, put it back in. Tighten all the top bolts a little bit. Check the plugs after a couple of miles. If it still runs oily, change the cover gasket.

The knocking noise is bit more worrying. Any more info on that?

arj256
05-04-2006, 09:41
The Rocker cover was around £7 from Gsf.
Dont look hard to fit, should be fitting mine tonight.

rt_blackpool
05-04-2006, 09:57
Sounds Like the rocker cover gasket has gone, mine is doing that to plugs 1&2 just waiting for my new rocker cover to sort it out.a few people have said about the rocker cover. how much was a new one and how hard is it to fit? i've just been looking through the haynes and cant find it anywhere! :?
Clean the plugs, put it back in. Tighten all the top bolts a little bit. Check the plugs after a couple of miles. If it still runs oily, change the cover gasket.

The knocking noise is bit more worrying. Any more info on that?

ok i'll give it a try mate :) as far as the knocking goes, i'll try and get a small mp3 of it and put it up for everyone to have a listen.

The Rocker cover was around £7 from Gsf.
Dont look hard to fit, should be fitting mine tonight.

do you have a part number arj? ive bene looking this morning on the site and the cataloge and cant find it anywhere! :-s

arj256
05-04-2006, 10:52
I think this is it:

'R11010 VALVE COVER GASKET CLIO 16V;R19 16V 91> 7.45 '

Will have to double check on my receipt later on.

cliodunc
05-04-2006, 14:12
Same happened to mine. Mine was bad and couldnt drive for more than 15 miles before cutting out. New Rocker gasket did it. 5 days later my head gasket went!!! bitch

Its really easy to do. No torques or anything.

Dunc

rt_blackpool
05-04-2006, 14:30
i've just spoke to nick hill and he said it would be a rocker gasket, he said get one from local reno, so im of there on my way home :D

hopefully it shoul sort it, i'll post some pics etc of me doing it, although prob wont be till tomorrow eve after work :)