PDA

View Full Version : My engine is having an affair

McPikie
03-04-2006, 12:45
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I think the oil and water are seeing each other behind the head's back.

My cooland pipe split the other week and, when we fixed it, we noticed the water was really black and gammy. Now, I am giving it a full flush once my coolant hoses arrive from Hill power, but my coolant level seems to have gone up a touch and my oil level has gone down.

Now I know these engines use oil, so that kinda puts my mind at rest, but the fact I have a touch of mayo in the header cap worries me.

It's not a massive amount, and there is no mayo on the dip or on the oil cap inside............... so I am in 2 minds as to whether it has gone or not.

I am gonna try to drop some coolant from the header later on and see if it rises by the end of the week again :evil:

French shite

clowo16v
03-04-2006, 12:49
I think mine is on its way aswell mate. Just gonna drive it till it blows then take it off the road and stick my new engine in.

See ya

Matt

McPikie
03-04-2006, 12:53
I wish I had a new engine to drop in :cry:

Might just go down to LTR and see what James says about swapping the lump over.

Wouldn't mind a megane one, but I can't seem to find one anywhere

Crossers
04-04-2006, 03:34
There's one in the yard ain't there, blue one?

Paul

McPikie
04-04-2006, 07:45
No, that has been sold.

Well, I checked the water again today and it's gone up some more, so it's deffo gone :cry:

One thing I don't need now as I don't really have the spare cash to fix it. Gonna have to go and ask the bank manager to up my overdraft :?

I'll drop some water out at lunchtime and put some more oil in and see how she goes for the rest of the week, but I can see this letting go big style, very soon

2 live
04-04-2006, 07:56
£40 for head set off ebay.........not a bad price, bit of a bugger to do.....but nowt major

McPikie
04-04-2006, 08:16
But while the head is off I will need cambelt doing (as it needed doing anyways) and the head bathed with new stem seals and tested etc etc.............

Probably easier to just swap the lump

McPikie
04-04-2006, 11:59
You know, I have just been thinking...........

how is it possible for the oil to be leaking into the coolant system, but the water not be leaking into the sump??

I really don't understand that. Surely if it is knackered, then they would both be showing signs??

2 live
04-04-2006, 12:45
£100 for cam belt kit and head set......

McPikie
04-04-2006, 13:02
Plus £85 for the head to be stripped, bathed and tested, then rebuilt

Then the labour of putting it all back together. Plus if the head is cracked, I need another one :cry:

Its all going wrong

2 live
04-04-2006, 13:13
steel rule on the head/block mating surface.....bit of elbow grease n degreaser.....few hours work

fuk me .......i thort my mrs was a whingin bag ;) ;)

dannyboy
04-04-2006, 13:18
i have a meggy engine. poss for sale. :twisted: